If you’re in the market for a new utility vehicle in Houston, popular utility vehicle brands such as John Deere and Kubota may come to mind. The current UTV market is chock-full of different options for buyers, which is convenient, but also a little overwhelming.
Lucky for you, we’ve done all the research and narrowed it down to two of the best UTV models available. In this article, we’re going to compare the John Deere Gator XUV 865M and the Kubota RTV-X1120, America’s best-selling diesel utility vehicle.
John Deere Gator vs. Kubota RTV-X
If you’re thinking about straying away from John Deere and considering Gator competitors, look no further. We’ve gathered all the information for you in this side-by-side Kubota/Gator comparison.
Dimensions & Capacities
While these two vehicles are very similar in size, there are some aspects that make all the difference. Let’s look at the exact specifications of the John Deere Gator and Kubota RTV-X.
John Deere Gator
- Length – 127 in.
- Width – 63.7 in.
- Height – 78 in.
- Weight – 1932 lbs.
- Wheelbase – 84.5 in.
- Cargo bed dimensions – 45 x 12 x 52 in.
- Cargo bed load – 1000 lbs.
- Fuel tank capacity – 11.2 gal.
- Payload capacity – 1474 lbs.
- Length – 122.5 in.
- Width – 63.2 in.
- Height – 79.5 in.
- Weight – 2061 lbs.
- Wheelbase – 80.5 in.
- Cargo bed dimensions – 57.7 x 40.5 x 11.2 in.
- Cargo bed load – 1102 lbs.
- Fuel tank capacity – 7.9 gal.
- Payload capacity – 1510 lbs.
After looking at these numbers, it appears that the Kubota has a larger fuel tank, cargo bed load, and payload capacity. This means fewer tank refills and more carrying capabilities for the user. The Kubota is also the heavier machine, providing extra stability. This will come in handy when traveling in rough areas.
Engine Specs & Speed
John Deere’s Gator XUV Crossover Utility Vehicle is built with a Yanmar diesel engine with a total displacement of 854 cc and maximum horsepower of 22.8.
The Kubota RTV-X is equipped with a Kubota D1105 OHV engine with a total displacement of 1123 cc and maximum horsepower of 24.8. Overhead valve (OHV) engines are known for their durability and longevity. Maneuvering through rugged terrain is a piece of cake in Kubota’s dependable X-series.
Both vehicles are similar in that they are both powered by 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled, four-cycle diesel engines and have 4WD. But when it comes to displacement and horsepower, Kubota is number one.
The John Deere Gator features a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) with clutch enclosure, while the Kubota RTV-X has exclusive Variable Hydro Transmission (VHT-X). As for gear selection, both options have Hi-Lo range forward, neutral, and reverse.
The Kubota has a maximum traveling speed of 29 mph while the Gator can only reach 15 mph in low range and up to 28 mph in high range.
John Deere’s Gator UTV will cost you at least $16,999.00 while the Kubota RTV-X starts at the unbeatable price of $14,299.00.
Before we wrap up, let’s cover all our bases by comparing a few remaining features of each UTV model.
John Deere Gator Specs:
- Brake type – front/rear hydraulic disc w/ twin-piston front calipers
- Steering – electric power steering (power steering available on select trims only)
- Torque – 36.9 lbs./ft.
- Towing capacity – 2000 lbs.
- Front suspension – independent dual A-arm with adjustable coils; 7.9 in. of travel
- Rear suspension – independent dual A-arm with adjustable coils and sway bar; 9.1 in. of travel
- Seating – bench
- Headlights – single-beam halogen
- Color options – green/yellow, olive/black, or camouflage
Kubota RTV-X Specs:
- Brake type – front/rear sealed hydraulic discs
- Steering – Power-full hydraulic with manual tilt feature
- Torque – 51.4 lbs./ft.
- Towing capacity – 1300 lbs.
- Front suspension – independent, dual A-arms with adjustable spring preload; 8 in. of travel
- Rear suspension – independent with coil-over shock; 8 in. of travel
- Seating – 60/40 Split-bench with under-seat storage and driver’s-side fore/aft adjustment
- Headlights – blue-tinted halogen
- Color options – orange or Realtree AP Camo
Visit Bobby Ford Tractor and Equipment for All Your Utility Vehicle Needs
We hope this guide helped you see that when it comes to John Deere Gator vs. competition, Kubota is the clear winner. The Kubota X-series offers comfort, convenience, and power, all for a great price. This well-engineered, reliable utility vehicle will fulfill all your hauling and towing needs.
Bobby Ford Tractor and Equipment is a distinguished Kubota dealer serving the Greater Houston Area. If you’re thinking about buying a new mid-sized to full-sized utility vehicle, come to Bobby Ford. We’ll help you choose the right UTV based on your specific needs.
Contact us today for more information on our select Kubota utility vehicles.